Notes and Thoughts from:
“Public Relations: Writing and Media Techniques” by Dennis Wilcox
(I use the 5th edition, in case you see references to page numbers )
What I learned…
- “Pitch letters must be customized to a particular editor and publication.” (pg 204)
- Media alerts announce the time and location of press conferences. (pg 210)
What surprised me…
- “You have about 60 seconds to grab an editor’s interest.” (pg 205)
- “Media kits represent a valuable opportunity to get publicity placements, but several surveys of editors indicate that such kits often miss the mark.” (pg 219)
- “The next best thing to an op-ed article is a published letter.” (pg 226)
What I want to know more about…
- Since there are so many different variations of press kits, I want to know if there is a website that shows examples of unique press kits and what products/information they provided.
- What can you do to make electronic media kits more interactive?